Monday, December 13, 2010

GIMME THAT OLD TIME ACCIDENTAL SPEED-WAHOO!

I take something in the vicinity of 37 pills a day, half of which are pain killers. This many pain killers makes me positively narcoleptic unless my mind is fully engaged. In other words I can drive safely when I get home and sit for more than 10 minutes I fall dead asleep. I almost drowned in plate of mashed potatoes when I was in the hospital.  So one of my doctors the newest drug for narcoleptics - Neurvigil.  She checked  me out on a low dosage and  then upped it big time. I got the prescription filled, didn't pay attention to the time and popped one at noon. Now here I am at 3AM wide awake and CLEANING THE REFRIGERATOR!!!  That's when you know you're over the edge. I took everything out and put it on the floor and washed all the shelves. The frig looks great and I've still got energy to burn.  I'm actually thinking of vacuuming the living room.

When I was in my twenties I worked way too many part time jobs, some at night.  I used to buy speed from a woman I worked with. I would write her a CHECK and then on the memo line write "speed." Arghhh... Someone must have been watching over me because its a miracle I didn't get busted.

Another story - in my twenties I bounced a check and then forgot about it. Months later a sheriff's deputy came to my apartment to arrest me for the check unless I covered it immediately.  I was terrified with visions of being dragged off to jail so blurted out "Will you take a check?"  He laughed so hard he had to step outside to catch his breath then gave me til the end of the week to get the cash. Believe it or not years later we became good friends when he ran for office. I helped him with his campaign . Each time we meet we say will you take a check?

I love having this much energy. I rarely get out of bed before noon because the pills and the illnesses knock me out. I've learned to make appointments for after 2PM and do as much as I can on the Internet. If you've never heard of Peapod check it out. You order groceries on line and then deliver them to your house.  Yet another great thing the Internet has done for the disabled.

Which reminds me - I'm completely changing my website to provide disabled information from the perspective of someone that can't be Elizabeth Edwards.  In other words we can't all keep a stiff upper lip and serve to reflect nothing but the positive in times of serious illness. I'm trying to get up the courage to write the piece but I thought out of respect I'd wait a week or two after her funeral.  I'll let you know when the web page goes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment